Tuesday, October 26, 2004

On-line gaming...

I live a ways out of town...about 16 miles from the nearest grocery, gas station, etc. I don't think it's that far, but most folks do...including interet service providers. Because of this, I've had dial-up for nearly five years. Two weeks ago, Qwest called to inform us that DSL was indeed now available on our dirt-road-accessible, horse-property, last-to-plow-your-area house! I was incredibly doubtful...to the point of calling them cruel and unusual torturing liars...but my partner, Scott, insisted on trying to get it anyhow.

First the modem was not delivered on the day they said it would. My doubts increased.
Then, when the modem did arrive, the letter said that the lines would go active at 5:00p.m. (on Friday night!) to which I raised a curious vulcan-like eyebrow. How would I get tech support if it was the weekend?
Finally, when I did hook it up and try it, the configuration program didn't work and when I phoned tech support, it said all of Denver and Colorado were experiencing difficulties. "On yeah..." I thought, "...SURE they are!" At 9:00 p.m. I tried again...and this time it worked.

A quick browse out to http://www.bandwidthtest.com/ indeed showed that I was receiving 200K/second!!! Over four times faster than my dial-up speed.

Heaven I say...pure heaven.

No comments: